The Company annually conducts seismic surveys to study the subsoil structure, forecast the material composition and saturation of rocks. Following the growing need to study more complex reservoirs, methods for seismic data interpretation are developing. Attribute analysis and rock physics modeling have become widespread for lithology and reservoir properties forecasting in the interwell space. The basis for rock physics modeling is the mineral component model. In the mineral component model, the components are often a mixture of different minerals due to the limited range of well logging. Therefore, it is required to adjust the grouped constants while rock physics modeling. At the same time, with the basic set of seismic software tools for rock physics modeling, the adjustment of constants and coefficients in models is not automated, and manual adjustment of models is more laborious and less accurate.
This article is devoted to the development of a technique for isotropic rock physics modeling based on well logging and core data supported by inverse modeling (automatic adjustment of coefficients within constraints) to improve the forecast reliability during amplitude interpretation. An integrated approach is considered for curves preparation for amplitude interpretation and mathematic modeling for geological properties forecasting with automation of quality control processes and reliability of the obtained isotropic rock physics models. Approaches are proposed for adjusting the elastic properties in the intervals of well caverns, taking into account caliper readings. A scheme for constructing rock physics isotropic models with additional adjustment of elastic parameters within the constraints, with automated enumeration of combinations of rock physics sub models suitable for the studied section is presentes. The rock physics modeling algorithm was tested with further adjustment of elastic parameters; conclusions were drawn about improving the quality of the final model.
1. Maraev I.A., Kompleksnaya interpretatsiya rezul’tatov geofizicheskikh issledovaniy skvazhin (Comprehensive interpretation of well logging results), Moscow: Publ. of Sergo Ordzhonikidze Russian State University for Geological Prospecting, 2013, 95 p.
2. Mavko G., Mukerji T., Dvorkin J., The rock physics handbook: Tools for seismic analysis in porous media, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009, URL:
3. Bayuk I.O., Mezhdistsiplinarnyy podkhod k prognozirovaniyu makroskopicheskikh i fil’tratsionno-emkostnykh svoystv kollektorov uglevodorodov (An interdisciplinary approach to predicting the macroscopic and reservoir properties of hydrocarbon reservoirs): thesis of doctor of physical and mathematical science, Moscow, 2013, 228 р.
4. Shubin A.V., Metodika izucheniya slozhnopostroennykh prirodnykh rezervuarov na osnove petroupurgogo modelirovaniya i inversii seysmicheskikh dannykh (Technique for studying complex natural reservoirs based on petroupurgy modeling and seismic data inversion): thesis of candidate of technical science, Moscow, 2014, 146 р.
5. Uspenskaya L.A., Modelirovanie uprugikh svoystv porod s uchetom litologicheskogo sostava i tipa zapolnyayushchego flyuida (na primere mestorozhdeniy Urnensko-Usanovskoy zony) (Modeling of elastic properties of rocks taking into account the lithological composition and type of filling fluid (on the example of deposits of the Urnensko-Usanovskaya zone)): thesis of candidate of geological and mineralogical science, Moscow, 2014.
6. Sinyakina Yu.S., Obosnovanie petrofizicheskikh i petrouprugikh modeley tonkosloistykh terrigennykh porod (Substantiation of petrophysical and petroelastic models of thin-layered terrigenous rocks): thesis of candidate of geological and mineralogical science, Moscow, 2017, 152 р.
7. Kulyapin P.S., Razrabotka interpretatsionnoy i petrouprugoy modeley porod-kollektorov mnogokomponentnogo sostava i slozhnoy struktury emkostnogo prostranstva (Development of interpretative and petroelastic models of reservoir rocks of multicomponent composition and complex structure of capacitive space): thesis of candidate of geological and mineralogical science, Moscow, 2016, 135 р.
8. Havens J., Mechanical properties of the Bakken formation: the thesis for the degree of Master of Science (Geophysics), Colorado School of Mines, 2012, 109 p.
9. Lavrenkova N.V., Nekrasova T.V., Toropov A.S., Sozdanie petrofizicheskoy osnovy dlya vypolneniya seysmicheskoy inversii – podgotovka dannykh i modelirovanie uprugikh svoystv (Establishment of a petrophysical basis for performing seismic inversion - data preparation and modeling of elastic properties), Proceedings of the BalticPetroModel conference, 2012, URL:
10. Morris G., Nadirov R., Peyn S., Kumar M., Ot modelirovaniya fiziki karbonatnykh porod k 3D prognozirovaniyu ikh tipov por i treshchin v zemnykh nedrakh (From modeling the physics of carbonate rocks to 3D prediction of their types of pores and cracks in the earth’s interior), Proceedings of the BalticPetroModel conference, 2012, https://agora.guru.ru/display.php?conf= petromodel-2012&page =program&PHPSESSID=c00k19d2bevtqfl60qg22dn5r5
11. Fedotov S., Kopytov M., Nekrasova T., Rol’ i znachenie klassicheskoy petrofizicheskoy interpretatsii i sovremennogo modelirovaniya fizicheskikh svoystv gornykh porod (Rock Physics) v prognoze svoystv kollektorov pri pomoshchi metodov seysmicheskikh inversiy (The role and significance of classical petrophysical interpretation and modern modeling of physical properties of rocks (Rock Physics) in the prediction of reservoir properties using seismic inversion methods), Proceedings of the BalticPetroModel conference, 2012, URL:
12. Bayuk I.O., Shekhtman G.A., Petrofizicheskie osnovy mnogovolnovoy seysmorazvedki (Petrophysical foundations of multiwave seismic exploration), Proceedings of the BalticPetroModel conference, 2014, URL: https://agora.guru.ru/ display.php?conf=petromodel&page=conference&PHPSESSID=i3ht6hrbkmuppl0vbqg3j74cc6
13. Nadezhdin O.V., Latypov I.D., Elkibaeva G.G. et al., Sovershenstvovanie metodov atributnogo analiza i petrouprugogo modelirovaniya (Improving the methods of attribute analysis and petroelastic modeling), Moscow: Publ. of Rosneft, 2019.14. Nadezhdin O.V., Efimov D.V., Minikeeva L.R., Markov A.V., Experience with using data analysis technologies in identification of lost production zones (In Russ.), SPE-191597-18RPTC-MS, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2118/191597-18RPTC-MS