Determining the optimal location for sidetrack kickoff for inclined well

UDK: 622.243.23.001
DOI: 10.24887/0028-2448-2022-1-45-49
Key words: profile design, lateral wellbore, well profile optimization, wells of complex spatial configuration, sidetracking, inclined wells
Authors: E.G. Grechin (Industrial University of Tyumen, RF, Tyumen), V.G. Kuznetsov (Industrial University of Tyumen, RF, Tyumen), A.V. Sherbakov (Industrial University of Tyumen, RF, Tyumen)

One of the ways to increase oil recovery is the construction of sidetracks, which makes it possible to bring into operation overlying or underlying formations. At present, the location of the sidetrack kickoff is determined based on the actual (design) trajectory of the main borehole (wound, drilled or new) and by enumeration of various options in computer modeling, as a result, the sidetrack profile may have a maximum curvature intensity, which leads to complications and accidents during construction. The paper considers the influence of the well length, through a horizontal projection relative to the position of the subsequent window cutting location, and gives an analytical solution for determining the sidetracking point, which reduces the total length of the well and, as a result, reduces its construction time. Based on the solution obtained, calculations were performed for 14 wells: in 70% of cases the location of extreme points met all the requirements and did not need to be corrected, for the remaining 30% of wells a scheme for correcting the sidetracking point was proposed. Based on optimized trajectories, an assessment was made of the effect of changing the well profile on the magnitude of the resulting axial loads; computer simulation was performed during drilling and tripping of drill pipes with a diameter of 147 and 89 mm and casing strings with a diameter of 178 and 114 mm (on a drilling tool with a diameter of 89 mm) using various models ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ columns. Based on the data obtained, a method for correcting the results of the analytical determination of the sidetracking point of the well was proposed in order to correct the geometric parameters of the well. It is proved that the correction technique allows optimizing the well profile.


1. Bastrikov S.N., Bastrikov D.S., Bobikyu L.A., Analysis of the geological conditions of the deposits in the western siberia for the use of multilateral wells (In Russ.), Stroitel'stvo neftyanykh i gazovykh skvazhin na sushe i na more, 2019, no. 6, pp. 54–56.

2. Oganov G.S., Potapov A.V., Application of sidetrack drilling technology for the restoration of gas wells on Cenomanian stratum in the Western Siberia Fields (In Russ.), Vestnik Assotsiatsii burovykh podryadchikov, 2019, no. 1, pp. 19–24.

3. Abdullin A.V., Abdullin I.K., Barannikov Ya.I., Maksimov A.Yu., Simultaneous separate (dual) production and injection. development prospects (In Russ.), Neftepromyslovoe delo, 2021, no. 2, pp. 38–42.

4. Malyutin D.V., Bakirov D.L., Babushkin E.V., Svyatukhov D.S., Geomechanical modeling to solve the problem of wells construction in LLC "LUKOIL-Western Siberia" (on the example of Vategansky deposit) (In Russ.), Geologiya, geofizika i razrabotka neftyanykh i gazovykh mestorozhdeniy, 2016, no. 11, pp. 23–26.

5. Shcherbakov A.V., Grechin E.G., Kuznetsov V.G., Changing the profile of directional wells for the further sidetracking (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2020, no. 7, pp. 92–96, DOI: 10.24887/0028-2448-2020-7-92-96

6. Povalikhin A.S., Kalinin A.G., Bastrikov S.N., Solodkiy K.M., Burenie naklonnykh, gorizontal’nykh i mnogozaboynykh skvazhin (Directional, horizontal and multihole drilling), Moscow: Publ. of TsentLitNefteGaz, 2011, 647 p.

7. Bermant A.F., Aramanovich I.G. Kratkiy kurs matematicheskogo analiza (A short course in mathematical analysis), St. Petersburg: Lan' Publ., 2005, 735 p.

8. D'yakonov V.P., Maple 9.5/10 v matematike, fizike i obrazovanii (Maple 9.5/10 in Mathematics, Physics and Education), Moscow: SOLON-PRESS Publ., 2017, 720 p., URL: http: // /90431.html.

9. Shcherbakov A.V., Determination of place of additional wellbore drilling in a multilateral well (In Russ.), Stroitel'stvo neftyanykh i gazovykh skvazhin na sushe i na more, no. 2015, no. 10, pp. 18–23.

10. Yuan Z., Robello S., Engineers’ dilemma: When to use soft string and stiff string torque and drag models, SPE-196205-MS, 2019, DOI:10.2118/196205-MS

11. Shcherbakov A.V., Abdrakhmanov R.R., Babushkin E.V., Kuznetsov V.G., Specific features of design of energy-saving profiles of wells with complex spatial configuration (In Russ.), Neftepromyslovoe delo, 2019, no. 9, pp. 14–17, DOI: 10.30713/0207-2351-2019-9(609)-14-17

To buy the complete text of article (a format - PDF) or to read the material which is in open access only the authorized visitors of the website can. .

Mobile applications

Read our magazine on mobile devices

Загрузить в Google play