Development of innovative logging equipment and techniques for horizontal oil/gas wells is a topical issue. The authors take up herein novel developments which allow achieve the operating objectives successfully without engaging any expensive imported equipment. A cable-based processing facility for drillstem running of tools, a cable communication system Lateral–2012 was designed in order to be used in tough logging conditions. Unlike common standalone logging systems which engage only a limited set of logging methods, the facility allows measurements to be performed by means of any logging tools, including electric and sonic imagers, and wireline formation testers. The survey generally takes one trip, logging data quality being monitored and axial forces measured on a real-time basis.
Together with Russian-made, state-of-art subsurface devices, the newly developed innovative logging techniques for producing horizontal wells allow ready identification of oil/water ingress points, search for behind-the-casing flows, isolation of producing intervals, etc.
Logging techniques which involve Lateral -2005 with a logging tool attached to it being run below an electric submersible pump or a sucker-rod pump, or below tubing allow measuring under various fluid recovery conditions, due to pay-interval drawdown adjustment. This also allows to select the best operating conditions, to test wells, and to reduce time required to commission them by overlapping logging jobs and completion jobs.
The paper also shows that, due to the fact that target bottomhole pressure values can be achieved and drawdown controlled if wells are stimulated by pumping or swabbing for a long time survey and interpretation can be carried out using the inversion effect and the Joule-Thomson effect, so that water ingress points can be identified thermometri method.
1. Kryuchatov D.N., Khalilov D.G., Savich A.D., Budnik D.A., Improving horizontal well logging technologies (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2016, no. 10 (268), pp. 16–29.
2. Gaynitdinov A.R., Sidorova A.A., Horizontal well logging using a bottomhole tractor (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2014, no. 8 (242), pp. 59–69.
3. Neganov V.M., Sakhatskiy A.V., Shumilov A.V., Shumskiy I.F., The unique experiment of perm region geophysics & oilers to recover hydrocarbon resources under salt formation (In Russ.), Geofizika, 2014, no. 5, pp. 76–81.
4. Savich A.D., Sementsov A.A., Rastegaev A.V. et al., Horizontal well logging with the help of small diameter tubing (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 1998, no. 6, pp. 41–44.
5. Sal'nikova O.L., Flowing fluid profile and composition evaluation in horizontal operation wells (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2015, no. 10 (256), pp. 65–79.
6. Chernykh I.A., Savich A.D., Import-substituting technologies for well logging and downhole operations in oil-and-gas wells of Perm territory (In Russ.), Karotazhnik, 2015, no. (256), pp. 140–149.
7. Savich A.D., Shumilov A.V., Technologies for horizontal well studies (In Russ.), Geofizika, 2009, no. 5, pp. 65–72.