The article presents the results of the geological structure analysis and oil and gas potential of the Laptev Sea shelf. The state of exploration of the water area and the continental shelf framing by complex geological and geophysical methods and well drilling is considered. It is shown that the seismic exploration degree of the shelf is low, and deep drilling was carried out mainly on land, where small Permian oil deposits were discovered. Only one well (Tsentralno-Olginskaya-1) was drilled in Khatanga Bay (starting from Bolshoy Begichev Island) which discovered a large oil field also in Permian deposits. The issues related to tectonics, stratification of sedimentary complexes and the age of the folded basement of the Laptev Sea shelf remain controversial due to the lack of information. This owes to the fact that the regional stage of geological exploration has not been completed. Based on the analysis of geological materials, the authors concluded that the Khatanga, Pritaimyr and Omoloy structural-formation zones have the highest oil and gas potential in which Cenozoic delta deposits join with Upper Paleozoic-Mesozoic blocks Lithological hydrocarbon traps may be associated with paleodelts. There is a possibility of the hydrocarbon discovery in Paleozoic deposits stretching into the shelf as a part of an intermediate structural level. For the purpose of regional geological exploration it was proposed to perform 2D seismic with a high density of seismic profiles network and drill a parametric well into Mesozoic deposits in the Khatanga transition zone. Prospecting and evaluation drilling is recommended at the Begichevskaya structure with maximum exposing of terrigenous Permian deposits. The technological capabilities and directional drilling experience of the largest oil and gas companies make such project possible and solve the set of geological problems including hydrocarbon reserves appraisal in the Laptev Sea at a qualitatively new level.
1. Shkarubo S.I., Zavarzina G.A., Zuykova O.N. et al., Shel’fovye osadochnye basseyny Rossiyskoy Arktiki: geologiya, geoekologiya, mineral’no-syr’evoy potentsial (Shelf sedimentary basins of the Russian Arctic: geology, geoecology, mineral resource potential), St. Petersburg: Renome Publ., 2020, 544 p.
2. Pronkin A.P., Savchenko V.I., Shumskiy B.V., Prospects for the oil and gas potential of the Khatanga Bay (In Russ.), Offshore Russia, 2013, September, pp. 18–22.
3. Pronkin A.P., Savchenko V.I., Stupakova A.V. et al., New data on the geological structure and oil and gas potential of the Khatanga mesodepression and the adjacent water area of the Laptev Sea (In Russ.), Prirodnye resursy Krasnoyarskogo kraya, 2014, no. 23, pp. 57–62.
4. Vasil’eva E., Ponina V., Petrushina E., Sadovnikov A., Prospects for oil and gas potential in the southwestern part of the Laptev Sea (In Russ.), Offshore Russia, 2017, May, pp. 18–22.
5. Dzyublo A.D., Nikitin B.A., Prospects for development of Russian Arctic offshore gas resources (In Russ.), Vestnik gazovoy nauki, 2017, no. 4, pp. 15–24.
6. Skvortsov M.B., Dzyublo A.D., Grushevskaya O.V. et al., Laptev Sea shelf: qualitative and quantitative assessment of hydrocarbon potential (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza, 2020, no. 2, pp. 34–44, https://doi.org/10.31087/0016-7894-2020-1-5-19
7. Dzyublo A.D., Neftegazonosnost’ i geologo-geofizicheskie modeli shel’fa Rossiyskoy Arktiki i Dal’nego Vostoka (Oil and gas potential and geological and geophysical models of the shelf of the Russian Arctic and the Far East), Publ. of Gubkin University, 2018, 235 p.
8. Daragan-Sushchova L.A., Petrov O.V., Daragan-Sushchov Yu.I., Rukavishnikova D.D., A new look at the geological structure of sedimentary cover of the Laptev Sea (In Russ.), Regional’naya geologiya i metallogeniya, 2010, no. 41, pp. 5–17.
9. Mel’nikov P.N., Skvortsov M.B., Kravchenko M.N. et al., Geological exploration in the Arctic: resource potential and promising areas (In Russ.), Neftegaz.RU, 2020, no.1(97), pp. 22-30.
10. Mel’nikov P.N., Skvortsov M.B., Kravchenko M.N. et al., The results of geological exploration on the Russian Arctic shelf in 2014–2019 and prospects for future development (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza, 2019, no. 6, pp. 33–46, https://doi.org/10.31087/0016-7894-2019-6-5-1811. Savchenko V.I., Stupakova A.V., Peretolchin K.A., The prospects of large oil and gas fields in the Eastern Taimyr (In Russ.), Georesursy = Georesources. 2017, Special issue, Part 2, pp. 186-193, http://doi.org/10.18599/grs.19.19